The Rulings Concerning The Two Eids From The Purified Sunnah
CHAPTER – FIVE : Proceeding to the Musallaa (Place of prayer)
Aboo Sa’eed al-Khudree (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:
“The Messenger of Allaah (SAW) on the day’s of ‘Eid-ul-Fitr aud ‘Adhaa, used to go out to the musallaa and the first thing that he would begin with was the prayer… “ .
The renowned scholar Ibn Haajee al-Maalikee said: “The past Sunnah with regards to the ‘Eid prayer is that it should be performed at the musallaa. This is because the Prophet (SAW) said: ‘Prayer in my masjid is a thousand times better than prayer anywhere else except the Masjid-al-Haram’* . Despite this great excellence he (SAW) went out (to the musallaa) and left his masjid” .
Imaam Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdasee26 said: “The Sunnah is to pray the ‘Eid prayer at a musallaa. ‘Alee (may Allaah be pleased with him) ordered this and al-Awzaa’ee and the people of ra’y preferred this opinion. It is also the opinion of Ibn Mundhir” .
Thus he who is unable to proceed out to the musallaa, due to an illness or old age can pray in the mosque and there is no problem – by the will of Allaah in him doing so .
Here it is appropriate to note that the aim of the prayer in the musallaa is to gather the great majority of the Muslims in one place. Where as we see in this day and age in many countries the existence of several musalla’s, even if there is no need. This matter, the scholar’s have informed us of is disliked .
Indeed some musalla’s have even become a platform for partisanship so as to divide the Muslims. And indeed all power and movement belong to Allaah.
- 24. Reported by al-Bukhaaree (1190) and Muslim (1394).
- 25. al-Madkhal (2/283).
- 26. al-Mughnee (2/229-230).
- 27. For a detailed explanation of the evidences for this issue with a reply to the doubts of the ones who oppose it, refer to what the renowned scholar Sh Ahmad ash-Shaakir, may Allaah have mercy upon him, wrote in Sharh Sunan at- Tirmidhee (2/421-423) and by our teacher al-Albaanee in a treatise called Salaat-ul-‘Eidain fil-Musallaa hiyah Sunnah, printed in Dimishq. Refer to it for it is of utmost beauty.
- 28. Refer to al-Mughnee (2/230)
- 29. Refer to Nihayatul-Muhtaaj (2/375) by ar-Ramlee